Wednesday, September 30, 2009

God does the healing...

and the doctors (and the pharmaceutical companies) get the fees.
Yesterday was my appointment with Dr. Bane, oncologist.  He is also Tom's doctor...who he sees for polycythemia vera which is an abnormal increase in the number of blood cells (primarily red blood cells) produced by the bone marrow.  He actually takes a form of chemo for it's side effects...slowing down the making of red blood cells.   So we were familiar with and trusted this doctor.
In the cancer world, size matters.  He stated that my cancer was stage 1 (smaller than .5cm, level 2 (aggressiveness rated 1-3) and hormone receptive, so all the treatment he recommended was to take a hormone blocker for 5 years (mainly because of the level 2) .....worst side effects, hot flashes, joint pains possible...I will still be seeing the Plastic surgeon once a week for the reconstruction process and another surgery in the future but feeling very thankful right now....no chemo :)   Which means I get to keep my hair...the girls said they wouldn't shave their heads to support me if I had to have chemo... but we have plans when Bethany comes home to all get tattoos together...we tried to do that in August when I found out that I had cancer...but they wouldn't do a tattoo because of my diagnosis and surgery/treatment.  Now...no cancer...no chemo!  Don't worry mom, it is not a huge tribal tattoo on my neck, boob wanna be or midriff...just a dainty word on my inner wrist  :)
Micah and Kaitlyn also came yesterday...so it was great to share this news with them.  It is good to see them again, and be able to spend time together.  We miss Bethany :(  

I finished another painting ..it is for a young girl at church who wanted one...it was fun to paint for her.  I have also started one for her sister. This one is actually one canvas, just painted to look like three.  I would love to have a huge room and paint huuuuuge canvas, the bigger the better!!     Maybe I will transform Micah's old room ??? 
I am enjoying the time off work, I have to pace my activity...or else I incur more swelling and soreness.... am looking forward to it becoming less and less.  Because tomorrow is expansion day again......

No comments:

Post a Comment